Saturday, January 1, 2011

My First DSLR - Nikon D90

By now I think most of my friends know that I have purchased myself a brand new DSLR - Nikon D90. Honestly, I have been wanting to buy this camera for a very long time. As always the price tag keep on stopping me from buying it.

My wife has been very supporting to me. She kept on asking me to just buy it. Don't worry on the price tag as we still can afford it. Just treat this as a new hobby of mine. She said it is better for me to start taking interest in photography to be able to take good photos rather than letting me spending lots of time watching videos or playing computer games. Hahahahha.... ^ ^

So finally I purchased it. But fark!!! I bought at a shop near my place and later on I found out I had paid extra $150. If I had known it, I will just go to the other shop at Funan or Sim Lim. Never mind. I will take this as a lesson not to rush again in my purchase. Better check the price at the other shops by calling them.

As everybody knows, the D90 kit comes with a lens AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G. The lens is as below. However, I went to buy a second hand of another lense AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G. The photo as the second photo.

Fig 1: AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G

Fig 2: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G

Well... You might see actually the range 18-55 is actually covered by my kit lens. Anyway, after I read a few review, a lot of people saying the 18-55mm lens is actually better than the 18-105mm. Plus this second hand lens was sold to me at $150 which is quite inexpensive in my opinion. Thus I went on to purchased it. Soon afterward, I tested the two lens. The results are quite evident why people likes 18-55mm. I think this can be considered everydays lens. You can use it on daily basis without much problem.

These two photos are taken as close up shot as close as I can. You will notice that the Fig 2 is smaller and not close enough while Fig 1 can be shot closely. Fig 1 is shot with 18-55mm lens while the Fig 2 is shot by 18-105mm lens. Well, at least after seeing this result, I did not regret on splurging on the new lens so fast (2 days after I bought my new camera) on a seemingly same type of lens. I love my second hand 18-55mm lens. I am thinking whether I should sell off my kit lens, 18-105mm lens or not. Hahahahaha~!!!

Disclaimer: If any experts happened to see my post on the two lens and found that actually my observation is not correct; I am more than happy to listen to the advise and clarifications.

No comments: